Kybunnies

Books reviews by KyBunnies
They Still Call Me Sister - Deborah Plummer Bussey While I thought, the title of the book would be something that would interest me I did not realize how much until I started actually reading. This book is about, family, being Catholic, a former Nun, being an African-American, a psychologist, and so many other things. This book will show the reader that anything is possible with work, patience, not only does the author takes the reader on a journey in time she also takes the reader on a journey where some Caucasian people know nothing about. Yes, I was one of those people. I will admit that I do not know a lot about being Catholic, but after reading this book I have a better understand about how Catholic's worship especially a funeral or wake.

The story starts out with Kathy Carpenter and her family. Kathy is a young 17 year old that is going to be a nun. She was one of the first African-American to join the Parish to be a nun. Kathy grew up on one of those families that is poor, but did not know it because they were rich in so many other things in life. Kathy does not talk about being poor she talks about all the wonderful things that she had as a child growing up. The family, the friends, and the well-being of having parents that loved her.

After several years as a nun Kathy, asked to be released from her vows. Why does she ask this? I will leave this for the reader to decide. It is something that truly makes the reader realize that there is more to life than just trying to help others while being Christ-like.

Kathy becomes one of the top psychologists in the Cleveland area. She is known for her discretion's in helping others that are always in the public eye. Somehow, she has gotten to be famous in her area. This is not discussed in the book, but from the little that is discussed the reader is aware of how she became such a wonderful psychologist. The author actually makes Kathy sound gifted and in some ways, she actually is gifted. She understands how to help them.

Kathy has struggle when she loses a patient. The patient is one she knew in her former life as a nun. She was once a mentor to the female but became a more of a friend over the years. Chanelle is a young female that when looking at her a person would think she has everything. Great looks, great job, a promising career, everything a person could ask for. She is described as the type of female that all other females love to hate. I wondered when reading this if Chanelle looked to Kathy more of a mother figure than a mentor. Kathy was someone young Chanelle could talk with about any and everything.

Kathy takes a journey through the nightclubs in Atlanta to help her discover why or how she loses Chanelle. Throughout the journey, Kathy learns so much and is consider native by friends and family. To me it is not naïve in not knowing it just shows that she has been blessed in not having to live or experience some of the bad parts of drugs, alcohol or other problems in life.

This book will take the reader on a journey from the 1950’s to present day. There is some going back and forth from the present to the past. It actually helps to understand the book so much more. It explains and helps to understand Kathy that much more.

While it is in the last few pages of the book that Kathy learns how and why she loses Chanelle it is something that keeps the reader wondering throughout the book. Many people would say this is a psychological thriller book, but I did not get that feeling.

One of the things I wish was talked about more in this book is how Kathy married a Caucasian male. All the reader knows is that she is married to Andrew. We do not know how it happened. I would have like to know more of the background in this. The other thing is I do not understand why the author kept stating what make and model of the vehicle Kathy drove. After stating, what the vehicle was once was enough. It did not need to be stated everything Kathy got into the car to drive.

This is one of those books that when you start reading it is hard to put down. You will become obsessed with reading and finishing the book. You keep reading to find out what happens next to find out if Kathy founds out on the next pages if her journey has been completed. When starting this book has several hours put aside to read this book in one setting because if not you will wish you had.

The bunnies and I give this book 4 Carrots